A deck over a flat roof can be an attractive addition to your home. The difficulty is that it will need some kind of supporting structure, and you will also need to take care of waterproofing and any penetrations.
We are going to talk about how to build a deck over flat roofs. The process of building a deck on top of an existing roof can be tricky, so it is important that you do your research before starting the project. We will cover some important considerations.
In many ways, installing a deck over a flat roof is similar to installing a deck over a concrete patio. This type of deck is called a “floating deck” because it is not permanently fixed in place like a stand-alone structure. They can rather be regarded as an extra deck “placed” on top of another structure.
Unfortunately, typical flat roof specifications do not meet the minimum requirement for a deck to go on top. As a starter, the roof must be at least 16 inches high for a deck to rest on the surface without obstructing sunlight or ventilation needed between the roof and the deck. The good news is, you can adapt your flat roof with some measures that will allow for an adequate height!
Proffesional Inspection Needed
So if you are thinking about installing a roof deck on an old flat roof, make sure it is professionally inspected before proceeding with construction.
The roof you want to put a deck on must be able to support 55 pounds (25kg) of weight per square foot. If you are unsure, it is always best to consult an engineer.
Confirm Integrity Of Existing Roof
Considerations should also include how you plan on finishing off your flat roof, such as water run-off, deck access for maintenance, drainage, etc.
You need to proceed with caution as flat roofs leak regardless of whether they are decked or not, as a result of design errors, insufficient materials, and poor installation. Many roof decks, when installed, further damage roofs, resulting in even more severe leaks and drainage problems.
The first consideration is that the posts on the deck can puncture through and damage your old flat roof if it’s not supported with additional blocks or beams.
You also need a platform that can support the weight of your deck and any furniture or equipment that might be on it and make sure this platform has enough room for power cables, pipes and other infrastructure such as vents.
Deck waterproofing entails flashing the deck supports and rail penetrations and installing an EPDM membrane. This is commonly done with boots made of EPDM rubber which are slipped over the openings. EPDM is a rubber-like sheet that is used to waterproof surfaces. In order to shed water, it is important that the roof slopes at a quarter of an inch every 12 inches. Poor drainage can lead to leaks.
Likely Professional Builder Approach
A professional builder would usually achieve this by creating two columns beneath the new deck – one at each end – and putting beams across the top. If you are doing this on your own, it will be necessary to find a way of supporting these columns using either post-tension cables or pier blocks.
Then you need a platform constructed from planks laid at right angles which is able to take the weight of your deck with enough space between each plank for water to run off and a layer of insulation.
If there are any penetrations in this new platform – for example, if you need to put in a post, column, or beam – you will have to make sure that these are sealed against leaks.
A water-tight EPMD rubber membrane should be installed on top of the roof deck to prevent water infiltration.
Afterward, you will ensure you have installed “sleepers” or flat 2x6s laid flat on the roof before working with the decking. This will provide the surface for you to install the decking.
Possible Alternative To Consider
As a possible alternative to consider, there are proprietary pedestal systems that can provide very stable, level, and reliable decking over the roof membrane, however, they are relatively more expensive than conventional methods.
Allow Future Access
Deck panels should be built in a manner that makes it easy to lift them for cleaning and repairs of the membrane below. In other words, you need to be able to easily get to the membrane below for any required maintenance and repair.
The roof below should be cleaned and inspected regularly to check for leaf and other debris. A deck placed on a roof under pine trees will need far more maintenance to keep debris from building up over time than a rooftop deck on top of a high-rise.
Frequently Asked Questions About Building A Deck Over A Flat Roof
Can my roof support a deck?
If your roof can safely support at least 55 pounds of weight per square foot, and is in optimal condition, it may be suitable for a deck.
Are rooftop decks worth it?
The answer is a resounding YES. A rooftop deck can be built for as little as $15,000 and the financial benefits are substantial. A rooftop deck will increase your home’s value by an average of 12%. That means more equity in your property.
Does a covered deck increase home value?
After seeing the benefits that a rooftop deck provides, it is clear that there are many reasons to construct one. The first reason is affordability: you can build a respectable and functional rooftop for just $15,000. The second benefit is the increased value of your home: Researches has found that a residential building with an amenity such as green space, a rooftop deck, or a private parking lot increases the home’s value by an average of 12%!
Additional YouTube Resources
Additional Online Resources
Aditional Online Resources
Please Note: The following snippets are auto-generated from an A.I. algorithm in the hope that you may find some of it useful in your further investigation of the issue or discover options you may like to chase up further. You will almost certainly find that some of it is not sufficiently related, and therefore, not useful. Please excuse the machine, it is trying its best. Sometimes it finds really useful things too.
- requirements for decking a roof | remodelingdecks over living space seem like a homey idea. deck posts placed on flat roofs even those resting on 2-by block to distribute weight risk puncturing the roof
- why you need roof decking for your flat roof – london decking27 sep 2017 if you are considering installing a roof deck on an old flat roof then you’ll need to have it checked out by a professional to ensure it’s strong
- flat roof garage with deck above – google search | patio roofjan 16 2017 – flat roof garage with deck above – google search. terrace over garage deck over garage vinyl rooftop patio patio roof wood
- three reasons why rooftop decks are complicated to builda deck on your roof is possible if you have handy and convenient access. or typical flat roof specifications do not meet the minimum requirement for a deck;
- choosing waterproof decking for flat roof decks – tufdek17 jul 2019 torch on/ modified bitumen: again probably not the best option for the same reasons above. if you did want to convert your roof to this surface
- roof decks on flat roofs: benefits and considerations – roofslope26 jul 2016 a rooftop deck is ideal for entertaining. it provides homeowners with outstanding views. having a deck built on a flat roof gives it fire resistance
- installing a deck on a flat roof – composite deckingproofing please isolate the easyfix from the pvc asphalt roofing felt with a roof tile. installing a deck on a flat roof. deck boards. easyfix.
- flat roof deck types & design guides – baudermaterials used for the roof deck should be selected from those listed in the latest longitudinal joints should occur on the centre line of supporting joists.
- rooftop deck construction details – inspectapediaour rooftop deck photo (above left) shows how the installer provided for future cleaning of debris accumulating below the nearly-flat roof deck. but it is the choice
- flat roof construction – composite deckingwhen installing at21 on a flat roof there are a few important points to consider: rubber packers (or similar) should be used to hold the bearers off the roof
- building a rooftop deck over living space – buildingadvisor17 oct 2014 for building a long-lasting and leak-proof rooftop deck over living space. martin writes: how do you properly build a concrete deck (with a roof) over the turnout at the bottom so the vertical leg of the flashing would sit flat.
- roof deck – ib deck shield a beautiful watertight solution for flaton some older roofs instead of a rubber roof a tar / built-up roofing material is used for waterproofing. the main problem with this assembly is leaks which often
- attaching posts to a rooftop deck | professional deck builderq how can i mount newel posts to a deck on a flat roof without cutting into the building wood decks with safe railings over flat epdm roofs on the rainy coast of
- the six ds of decking: waterproofing flat roof assemblies16 oct 2014 when a deck is correctly designed water will flow where it is supposed to go—that is away from the building into a gutter system or over a drip
- 2020 roof deck cost: estimate deck prices per square foot23 oct 2017 deck on a flat roof across the us homeowners report spending around $750-3000 on deck replacement cost depending on project size and
- decking over a roof – chief architectof the job is easy. decking. over a. roof. epdm membrane. tapered sleeper. 1⁄2-in. deck above a living space are the same: a reliable roof flat on the roof.
- flat roof decks and patios | cool flat roofwhat causes flat roof decks to leak. ponding water leaks. very often you can find ponding water accumulating on these deck roofs. the majority of flat roofing
- guidance flat roof deck – buildingregs4plansbuildingregs4plans flat roof guidance provides information on flat roof deck design and materials including timberboarding plywood oriented strandboard
- nurajacks in revit – flat roof | membrane roofing | waterproofmeets council requirements for decking over membrane decks. self-levelling heads simply create a level deck. top adjustable heads – no lifting of tiles to adjust
- decking options for rooftop decks – dec-tec12 jan 2019 do you have a flat rooftop area on your home that is not being utilized? maybe it’s over a garage or that add on room you just built on to your
- if i put decking on top of your felt covering (on a flat roof) will thatif i put decking on top of your felt covering (on a flat roof) will that void your manufacturers warranty? decking over a bituminous felt is common practice. however
- how best do i convert a flat roof into a roof garden – i do need a newthe decked area would obviously not be fixed through the roof membrane and just sit loose on top of the roof. the weight of the deck will hold it down.
- building a rooftop deck – mr. roof8 aug 2017 flat roofs are incredibly versatile and many homeowners choose to transform their flat roof sections into roof decks. depending on the home’s
- rebuilding a rotted deck on a flat roof – extreme how toby rob robillard. a client recently asked if i would replace her badly worn-out roof deck. this wooden deck was built over her screen porch and on top of a flat
- are single ply membranes suitable for use on roof terraces and13 may 2019 what other aspects of the flat roof system design need to be considered for a roof terrace? where a timber decking finish is specified the single
- flat roof decks – the flat roof of the fourth kind |modified bitumen vs pvc membranes flat roofs. torch on flat roof. a traditional torch-on flat roof is not a desirable surface for a functional flat roof deck. the
The sliding door is a very popular choice for many homeowners because it can help save space. A common problem with these doors, however, is that they will not open or close properly and this article...
About Formply Plywood A plywood sheet is a type of sheet building material used in furniture making and construction. It is fabricated by gluing thin veneers of wood together. Plywood is available...